Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Writers Unite! Introduction


It's three days from November and we all know what November means...National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo is a crazy 30 day event in which aspiring novelists attempt to hit 50 000 words. It's MUCH harder than it sounds so I'm happy that this year, Charlotte and Paola have created Writers Unite!, a support group for NaNoWriMo participants. If you're interested, you can find more information here.

And now for the first order of the day: Writers Unite! Introduction post. 

If you don't already know my name, it's Annie and I am a teenager from Canada. I really love books and hazelnut macchiatos from Starbucks as well as Kit Kats. I spend way too much time on Tumblr than is healthy. My favourite color is blue, I'm an only child and I have no pets. I don't know how to ride a bike nor do I know how to play a guitar. I like watching New Girl and hockey and playing Temple Run and Candy Crush on my phone. 

I've been interested in writing since the fourth grade and have actually had dreams of becoming a novelist when I grew older. I don't know if that's the route I want to take any more but I do know that I would still love to study English or Literature in university. When I first learned of NaNoWriMo last year, I was really excited to get my hands dirty with some writing again but I failed. Miserably. I think I wrote three thousand words. After that mess, I decided to try again with Camp NaNoWriMo and I did even worse. I only wrote two thousand words. So here's my third time trying my hand at NaNoWriMo and hopefully, third time's the charm! 

I don't have a very strict goal for NaNoWriMo this month because I know I cannot write well under pressure. I really need time to think things through so I'm aiming for 30 000 words by the end of this month. I know the common goal for NaNoWriMo is 50 000 words and of course, I'd love to accomplish that but knowing myself, I think 30 000 is a much more realistic target and I'd be over the moon if I could get that done, even if that means I don't technically win NaNoWriMo. 

As for what novel I'm writing, well, I haven't gotten that far in my planning. Honestly, I have ZERO ideas so I'm thinking I might end up pantsing the story. I don't even know what genre it's going to be! I'm leaning towards contemporary but I think I might go with fantasy or historical fiction because I want to do something outside my comfort zone. And of course, because they'd be so much fun! 

So that's my Writers Unite! introduction! I'm super excited for this month and I can't wait to get writing with all of you! It's going to be crazy but hopefully, we'll be able to support each other along the way! 

No comments :

Post a Comment