Tuesday, October 15, 2013

6 Books I Was Forced to Read

I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday for a while so I'm really excited for today's topic: Books You Were Forced to Read.

I have been urged to read many books by my friends, teachers, and family and while there were a few books I really did not like, for the most part I ended up finding real gems of books. Listed below are six books I was forced to read that I ended up really liking. A huge shout out to the people who forced me to read these books! Without you, I would have missed out on some great stories!


I was 'forced' to read this by my grandmother who is as big as a book lover as I am. I received this book from her when I was nine and I loved it from the very first word. I can't even begin to express my love for Anne and the rest of the cast! I think if I were to have an absolute FAVOURITE book, this would be it. 

This was my 'book discussion' book in Grade Five. My teacher had just gotten an entire shipment of old books and he assigned books to our class. I was assigned Banner in the Sky and needless to say, I was pretty happy with it! At first, it didn't seem like a very interesting book but by the end, I was biting my nails, rooting for Rudi! My friend and I always like to joke about the hidden excellence of this book. 

I was given this book to read at school last year and while the story wasn't the most enjoyable, I loved the approach Aldous Huxley took in regards to our future. It was exaggerated but at the same time, there was truth in it. I'm not quite sure how to eloquently explain it but anyway, Brave New World made me think a lot and I appreciate that in books!

My mother made me read an abridged version of this book when I was eight and when I was eleven, I read an unabridged version. I can't say I really understood everything in the unabridged version (though it did help I read the abridged first) but I loved the characters, especially Pip and the story was absolutely wonderful in every way.

I'm thankful to have really great friends who love reading too! This one was thrust upon me by my friend Maya whose recommendations I have always come to trust. When she says I'll like a book, I know 100% that I will. The History of Love has been one of my favourite books for a very long time and if you haven't read this yet, read it now! You'll enjoy it as much as I did!

I read this around the time the movie came out and it was another book that Maya had recommended. I loved this book so much! The alternating points-of-view were wonderful and each of the characters were so vivid. I think I might reread it soon actually!

Have you read any of the books on this list? What books have you been forced to read that you have LOVED? Any books you want to force ME to read because I definitely force YOU to read these if you haven't! Tell me in the comments!

No comments :

Post a Comment