Saturday, December 27, 2014

The 2015 Challenge Masterlist

I may have went a little overboard this year with the challenges... Trust me, there is not one part of me that thinks I can actually pull this all off. But I will try. It's just... these challenges all look so fun and even if I probably will fail horribly, I can't help but participate because FUN. 

So here are the challenges I'm planning on doing AND STICKING WITH this year. Not including the 2015 Goodreads Challenge because it's still 2014 and they haven't updated it yet and any other challenges I may stumble upon in the next few days. But if you're interested in checking back to see my progress, then just head on over to the Challenges page where I will keep you updated.


Most years, the books I read are dominantly backlist titles. But in 2014, without even making a conscious effort to do so, I actually read quite a few debuts. I often feel like I never know what's going on because I spend so much time catching up on books that I missed out on from previous years so this year, I want to make the conscious effort to try to squeeze in some more debuts. I'm aiming for at least one debut a month but hopefully more so that by the end of the year, I have a number in the 15-20 range!


Fantasy is not a genre I read a lot of at all but I do want to get into it! I want to branch out of the contemporary comfort zone and get into fantasy once again. I used to love fantasy as a kid but somewhere along the way I started swapping out magic for realism and I want to get back to reading it especially since there are so many books in the fantasy genre on my TBR like Throne of Glass and Graceling. This is a challenge I know I will probably fail the hardest though because each time I say I'm going to read more fantasy, it never happens so my goal is low: three books. And if I read more than three books, I will be extremely extremely happy.


To read more classics is something that's always on my list of resolutions at the start of a new year. Does it happen? No, but why not join a challenge to do so if I'm putting it on my list anyway? And hopefully, this will be the year. Honestly guys, if I read even one classic on my own accord this year, I will be content.


This will probably save my life. I am so bad with keeping my blog organized and up to date as you will see when you click on my pages. They are all horribly outdated and it's been a year of blogging guys and I'm still not there yet. Time to face the reality, I need help and hopefully this challenge is it! I'll be doing my best to keep up with the monthly themes and maybe by June, I'll finally get those dang pages done and more!


I participated in this last year and failed, not in the sense that I didn't read any books off of my TBR but because I stopped keeping track. I am not letting that happen this year! And I'm also enforcing the rule that the books have to be ones that were already on my Goodreads TBR prior to reading to count. Last year, I kinda cheated and counted every book toward this challenge because "technically I was reducing my TBR" but I'm not standing by that again this year. So having said that, I'm aiming for A Friendly Hug (11-20 books) because I think I can do that?


I love fairytale retellings but I rarely ever read them. But I'm hoping this challenge will get me to continue with the Cinder series because I am hopelessly behind. I must jump back onto that ship! But also get me caught up with other fairytale retellings out there. I FEEL LIKE I'M MISSING OUT. Really the only one I think I read this year was Tiger Lily which was FRICKING fantastic but I want more! Still, I'm only aiming for the Prince Charming level (1-4 books) because I know I will suck when the time finally comes and read very little because that's what always happens. But the good thing is that when you set your expectations really really low, you'll always surpass yourself! 


I don't reread very often - like maybe three books in a year? - but I've had some books I've wanted to turn back to again for a while so I'm using this chance to crack down and get to them! My number one priority would probably be the Harry Potter series because I started to reread them this year but then never got to continuing. I'd probably also add Anne of Green Gables to that list and some other books but we'll see.. I haven't really figured out anything yet apart from I have books I want to re-read and I'm going to try to do that!


With the #WeNeedDiverseBooks this year, I thought this challenge was very timely! Prior to this year, diversity in books wasn't something that I thought a lot about. Honestly, it escaped me as a reader but then there was this huge movement which really challenged me to think about how much, or lack thereof, diversity there is in the books I read. I want to make an effort to branch out and discover stories about different people and hopefully participating in this challenge will encourage me to do so. My aim is to read at least one book that classifies as "diverse" a month.


The idea of this challenge is to track all the places you've been through reading books. I thought this was such a fun and unique idea that I had to participate. My goal is to try to visit as many different countries as possible! Below is an embedded Google Map that I will be using to track my progress. As for the mini-challenges, here is a link to a spreadsheet I'm using to help me stay organized with my documentation for the select challenges I've chosen to do.


And those are all the challenges I'm planning on doing for 2015 so far. Are you participating in any challenges? If so, which ones? Tell me in the comments and if you have any suggestions for what I should read for these challenges, tell me there too!

No comments :

Post a Comment