Saturday, December 20, 2014

November 2014 Wrap Up



I promise I will stop doing these in lieu of actual book reviews in December! I need to get back into the groove of blogging though and I don't want to have to worry about previous books I've read that I need to review because from experience, I know that only causes STRESS and PAIN. So let's just start from a blank slate in December, all right? Presenting you... the books I read in November! Which was significantly better than October or September.


Completed November 3, 2014
Unfortunately, I didn't find Attachments as enjoyable as Fangirl. And I won't deny it, most of it has a lot to due with the Lincoln situation. I think Rainbow did a good job of making the email-reading seem as un-creepy as possible but personally, I thought it was still hella creepy even at its minimum. And the ending was a bit... convenient for everyone. Like I don't know how to describe it actually but it just seemed too simple and rushed. I really felt iffy on the romance aspect between Lincoln and Beth but I LOVED the friendship between Jen and Beth. Attachments was still a really likeable and fun book, there were just things about it that I couldn't get out of my head while reading.


Also Known As by Robin Benway
2 out of 5 stars
Completed November 12, 2014
I've had a fascination with spies ever since I was a wee child of five and would round up my friends to go on "missions" around my school and watch Totally Spies BACK TO BACK TO BACK. That was my life. And years later, I still really love spies so I had to pick up this book. And it was fun. I found it to be enjoyable but not what I was expecting in the sense that it seemed to be directed to a younger audience in terms of the writing. But the whole spy idea was really, really cool. I had trouble with the romance though because it seemed to have happened a little too quickly but also IT WAS DRIPPING WITH CHEESE. And while I do like some cheese (like cheddar and mozzarella), other cheese are not my type like goat cheese and the romance in this book was a lot like goat cheese. I literally groaned at points just because STOP IT'S TOO SAPPY. Also I'm confused as to whether or not Jesse is a bad boy as mentioned in the beginning because he seemed like a really good kid.


The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
4 out of 5 stars
Completed November 15, 2014
I've really come to enjoy this series. Another really great installment in the Raven Cycle! I enjoyed this A LOT more than The Raven Boys. There was just so much more going on but it was amazing and the writing was fabulous and so much intrigue and new developments and UGH RONAN. I hated him in the first book but now I love him. I love him so much. But I despise Adam. I find him distasteful. How strange how quickly opinions can change. The only teeny tiny thing I will say though is that although Stiefvater's writing is beautiful, sometimes I'd rather like for her to just call a spade a spade instead of using some nice poetic language to vaguely suggest what is going on. IT'S BEAUTIFUL all right, but I have horrible implications abilities so if you aren't straight with me, I often have no idea what's going on so that's just the TEENY thing I have to say but everything else was great.


3 out of 5 stars
Completed November 16, 2014
I didn't enjoy this as much as On the Fence but I still liked it. As you might have noticed, I read it all in one day because I could not put it down. How does Kasie West do this to me? I've only read two of her books but they've both been addicting as heck. I liked the social class dynamic here but the ending grated on my nerves a bit? I will not disclose the reason because it's a spoiler but UGH. It made me angry. But the characters were cute especially Ms. Dalton. And Xander and Caymen were cute. And the banter was cute. I still remember that Xander wore a thick ring on his pinkie though. Which I admit, made me curl my lip in disgust because the pinkie? Why the pinkie??


1 out of 5 stars
Completed November 25, 2014 
This book was such a let down. I was expecting something kick ass and fun because it had gotten so many great reviews but instead I got a bland book with an annoying main character. Honestly this book made such a tiny impression on me that I totally thought this was a DNF and had even marked it so on Goodreads. I just don't understand because it got so many great reviews and I'm just so utterly not into this book. I'm 99% sure my copy of the book got mixed up with another book because whenever people say they found an interesting main character in Harper, I think "no she was actually incredibly annoying and annoying and annoying". Probably will pass on this series...


4 out of 5 stars
Completed November 30, 2014
I love this series so much. IT'S SO GOOD. And this book was by far the best of them all. I only gave it a four star because I find that although Stiefvater's writing is beautiful, there's too much left for me to draw in and LIKE I SAID, I SUCK AT THAT and sometimes I just wish she'd be straightforward. Which is why it's only a four star because I was still really confused. But in terms of characters, this book had the best set of characters. New ones that were so much fun, and old ones that were developed so thoroughly. The stakes grew higher in this book. Everything just really sprung into action and I LOVED IT AND I WANT THE FOURTH BOOK NOW. I loved this book so much you guys. Please read this series if you haven't. Oy.


---

And that's a wrap for my November wrap-up which was posted REALLY late as we are now about 2/3 into December. I'm still clearly not back on the blogging train. Anyway, you know the drill: have you read any of these books? What did you think? And what were some of the books you read in November? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS.

No comments :

Post a Comment