Friday, July 18, 2014

Bookish Radar (6)

As a book blogger, my bookish radar is always on. I'm constantly hearing about titles of books and while some of them don't particularly interest me, others so do. These are the books that I currently have my eyes on. I WILL READ THEM IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO. Inspired by On the Smugglers' Radar @ The Book Smugglers and Waiting on Wednesday @ Breaking the Spine




Released June 26, 2014


A haunting debut novel about a mixed-race family living in 1970s Ohio and the tragedy that will either be their undoing or their salvation

Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet . . . So begins the story of this exquisite debut novel, about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee; their middle daughter, a girl who inherited her mother’s bright blue eyes and her father’s jet-black hair. Her parents are determined that Lydia will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue—in Marilyn’s case that her daughter become a doctor rather than a homemaker, in James’s case that Lydia be popular at school, a girl with a busy social life and the center of every party.
When Lydia’s body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together tumbles into chaos, forcing them to confront the long-kept secrets that have been slowly pulling them apart. James, consumed by guilt, sets out on a reckless path that may destroy his marriage. Marilyn, devastated and vengeful, is determined to find a responsible party, no matter what the cost. Lydia’s older brother, Nathan, is certain that the neighborhood bad boy Jack is somehow involved. But it’s the youngest of the family—Hannah—who observes far more than anyone realizes and who may be the only one who knows the truth about what happened.

A profoundly moving story of family, history, and the meaning of home, Everything I Never Told You is both a gripping page-turner and a sensitive family portrait, exploring the divisions between cultures and the rifts within a family, and uncovering the ways in which mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives struggle, all their lives, to understand one another.



I can't even tell you how much I want to pick up Everything I Never Told You RIGHT this second. I've heard it's a mystery which is great because I do love mysteries but that it also has more of a focus on family and social status and all of that just sounds FABULOUS. And I love that it centres around a Chinese-American family because I'm Chinese so yay for representation! I have 9 books at the library now and more to arrive plus books that I've bought and haven't read yet so I know I won't be getting to this really soon but MAN, I will definitely be making a point to pick this up when I get this mess sorted out with!
Released September 28, 1972


For Joanna, her husband, Walter, and their children, the move to beautiful Stepford seems almost too good to be true. It is. For behind the town's idyllic facade lies a terrible secret -- a secret so shattering that no one who encounters it will ever be the same.

At once a masterpiece of psychological suspense and a savage commentary on a media-driven society that values the pursuit of youth and beauty at all costs, The Stepford Wives is a novel so frightening in its final implications that the title itself has earned a place in the American lexicon.



I love horror and I love scaring myself but I haven't read a horror novel EVER. Or not one that scared the shit out of me anyways. Which is disappointing because like I said, I do love scaring myself. And this one sounds really good! I'd only heard of his other novel Rosemary's Baby but while I was perusing Goodreads, as one does, I came upon this book and while the synopsis doesn't tell me much, the fact that it was a horror novel and that it is "so frightening" just sold me.  


Expected release date: July 23, 2014


It's the Carnevale of 1750 and Venice's ballrooms, theatres, palazzos and squares are filled with delicious gossip, devilish fun and dangerous games. In this glittering masked world, everyone has a secret...

Set in an age of decadence made famous by Casanova, Masquerade uncovers the secrets of seven teens, from the highest aristocrat to the lowest servant – their dreams, desires, loves, loyalties ... and betrayals.

All the world's a stage. Let the show begin.




I've seen this book a lot featured on Australian blogs as I'm fairly sure it's part of Penguin Australia? Anyway, that's how I came to find out about this book and apparently it's being pitched as a Gossip Girl meets Downton Abbey but of course, set in 18th Century Venice. And that just sounds great. I know a lot of people don't listen to comparisons but I like them to give me a general idea of the book. And I love Gossip Girl (the books and the show) and while I haven't started Downton Abbey yet, Dame Maggie Smith is in it so I'm SURE it's great (also everyone talks about it so there's that) so this book sounds like it's going to be pretty interesting! Like, YES PLEASE. Venice? Oh my god, yes. Secrets? EVEN MORE YES. Social hierarchies? Yes, yes yes. Have I said it enough times to let you know that I really want to read this book?


Expected release date: November 25, 2014


GIRL ONLINE is the stunning debut romance novel by YouTube phenomenon Zoe Sugg, aka Zoella.

I had no idea GirlOnline would take off the way it has - I can't believe I now have 5432 followers, thanks so much! - and the thought of opening up to you all about this is terrifying, but here goes...

Penny has a secret.

Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog.

But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever.



So you might know Zoe Sugg as Zoella, a popular Youtuber who I absolutely ADORE. And admittedly, I'm interested in this more because of the name attached than the actual premise (which I still love by the way because it sounds fantastic. Like a musician boy? And New York? And England? And blogging? YES.) but seriously Zoe is just so cute and sweet on camera and I read her blog and I totally love that she has a book out. And ahh, it just sounds so cute and sweet like Zoe and I'm so unbelievably excited. I promise I will be the first one in line to buy this book. 


Those are my picks for this month! Tell me in the comments if you've read any of these, and what books are currently on YOUR radar!

No comments :

Post a Comment